Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My PhD journey so far...



Completed my proposal defence presentation last week. I think it was my first proper presentation after 3 years! Considering that and furthermore it was in English, it was a bit nerve-wrecking but I guess from the reception afterward, I manage to "break some leg" (to use my wife's words of encouragement). My professor-supervisor has some other ideas on my research direction which I have no problems to oblige. Still with the presentation done, my proposed research agenda  is now somewhat confirmed (Reinventing Management; A Case Study of Ikhwanul Muslimin Business Enterprises). I am now well into research mode for the next 2 years. Egypt, here I come! (where to find budget huh?)


Looking back, it really took me a long way to arrive at this stage. For those planning to do your PhD, forget about making direct application. Instead, get your idea right, write a nice proposal and send it to your prospective supervisor first. I lost quite a number of months applying straight to the schools only to get rejection letter simply because there is no supervisors willing to take your topic. Once the supervisors are confirmed, the university usually have no qualms admitting you as a student. Even if you are discouraged by your "so-so" academic background, it should not deter you from applying. Trust me, even at 35, with variable income and somewhat average academic result, I am now a PhD student in UM!

Is it worth it? I don't know. For some (including myself, honestly) the title "Dr" does feed into one's ego and is perhaps worth all the trouble. In my case specifically, my initial thought is to become the first family member with the title "Dr" but my lil'sister beat me to it (she's now an MO in HKL). My wife will most probably getting hers much earlier than me (doctorate, Halal science - operating on chickens...quack! quack! quack!). But putting that aside, I have always wanted to do one proper, serious research work. I missed doing that for my MBA. At 35, I realized this PhD looks like a final chance for me to do just that.    

For some reasons, I hoped to avoid doing study on Islamic management. My initial interest is on entrepreneurship or ASEAN. But finding a supervisor on the two subjects at my university of choice was a challenge. A USM professor I approached instead offered me to do neuroscience which I have zero knowledge about! My good wife (again) reminded me that learning is supposed to bring us closer to Allah. And seeing how almost easy for me getting responses from supervisors, perhaps it is fated that I'll be doing my advanced study on the subject.

*******************
UM's PhD study nowadays operate on a different tack. There is a lot more emphasis on speed and graduate-ability. The recently approved graduate-by-journal submission for example allows students to gain their doctorate by publishing 3 or 4 journals. For some, this is an attractive option as they will need to write less, build academic reputation and get incentives as they publish, instead of submitting at least 100 pages of thesis that almost certainly no one would care to read.

In an environment where speed is important, usually quality will give in. It is a natural trade-off that requires attention especially as UM seeks to rebuild its reputation. While the focus on students graduate-ability may be good and ensure that students remain steadfast and disciplined in their study, the university's initiative to push everyone to publish in either ISI Tier-1 or Tier-2 journals is perhaps too ambitious and naive. Adding to that, every academic person is now rated by their 'h" index that measure one's academic productivity and impact of their published work. Gone were the days when one's reputation is build on the years of contribution to the academic world. Today, it is all about how high is your 'h' score! My two cents worth - all these talk about "ISI" and"h" score sounded ridiculous and will definitely get more people confused. While the intent is good and that is to push UM into a higher ranked territory, the fact is ISI Tier 1-2 journals are a tough club to break into. The quality of research published in these journals are truly from a different world which the university is still far from achieving with the chronic lack of fund and talent. Not to mention, these journals are thoroughly English publications of which we are not native to. And while we should have put the destiny of the university firmly on our hands, by allowing ISI ranking and "h" index to determine our standards, we inexplicably empower Thomson Reuters to dictate our direction.  Simon Linacre, a Thomson Reuters publisher/coordinator (the company behind ISI ranking) admitted that many universities are already moving beyond ISI ranking as means of rating. What's more, even MOHE does not impose such condition to any of the RU's including UM. So why are we making it difficult for ourselves while they may be a more reasonable initiative?  The fact that university ranking by itself is controversial with many dismissing its relevance, UM should reinvent its ways and strategy as it aims to move from good to great.

********************
I can't stress further on the importance of finding good supervisor(s). There are a lot of horror stories around where years of PhD research work got derailed as student-supervisor relationship deteriorated. A friend of mine has to change university after 2 years of writing. Another never graduated. Another complaint to her department about her supervisor. And that is really a recipe for disaster! My principle is simple...they become professors and doctors (and only god knows how tough it is to become one!) because they are experts in their field. We as students should remain humbled by being students, no matter how knowledgeable we think we are. Yes, you should argue and debate your points but worked extra hard to incorporate your supervisors wisdom into your work. It is a sign that we respect their position as teacher and guide and the amount of time they spent on us to allow us to grow into a respectable person of the academia. Remember, at the end of the day either you pass or fail will largely depend on them.  

I am grateful to be able to work with Prof Nazari and Dr. Ilhaamie. Both have been generous with their ideas and comments. And without their support, I think it would have been difficult for me to get admission to UM! For sure, it is a challenge to have two supervisors especially when both have different styles with one being a bit more liberal while the other is more rigid. But again, that's the beauty of it. With Prof Nazari, I need to become a bit more adventurous yet realistic in my thinking while with Dr. Ilhaamie, I am constantly reminded that the world of academic need to follow certain structure or else risking my study of its intellectual integrity. And because of them both, I hope to become a better researcher as I embark on this academic journey. So, thank you Prof...syukran jazilan Dr. And happy Teacher's Day to both of you.        

To all prospective PhD students out there, I end my note with 3 advices related to me by my dear supervisor, Prof. Nazari Ismail;
* PhD study is a start to a long, ardous journey. 
* There is no way you can make money from a PhD study. 
* Be prepared that at the end of your research, you will find yourself wrong OR that no one cares about your study anyway. And that is okay...really.

:P 

No comments:

Post a Comment